10/07/2005

myTunes (y'know, instead of iTunes...nevermind)

Lately I've only been listening to these three CDs as I drive to and from class (because that's about the only place I go these days). They are so good, and so fun, and I don't have anything else that can really hold a candle to these albums right now.

The first is the major label debut album of DJ Z-Trip, Shifting Gears, which has a bunch of different sounds from a bunch of different MCs. My favorite is a track called "Breakfast Club," by Murs and Supernatural, in which they rap about all the kickass old-school cartoons of my generation's youth. GI Joe, Transformers, He-Man, the Ninja Turtles, Jem, Josie and the Pussycats, man, they hit on all of 'em. It's pretty hilarious. Good beats, good lyrics, very good album.

The other two albums are by Murs and Slug, Felt - A Tribute to Christina Ricci and Felt, Vol. 2: A Tribute to Lisa Bonet. More straight-up rap than what's on Z-Trip's album, but there's some nice hip-hop tracks, too, and they aren't talkin' about bitches and hos throughout the whole album, or putting caps in people's asses. They're really pretty mellow CDs, with a nice groove to 'em. Very relaxing.

Why they're tributes to Ricci and Bonet, I'm still trying to figure out. But they're good, and that's all I care about. This guy I know, a comic book artist out in L.A., Jim Mahfood, he's the one who turned me onto these albums. He did this companion comic book for the second Felt CD, which is very cool, and a lot easier to understand now that I finally got my hands on the disc. Jim's got a pretty good ear for this stuff, and he's been listening to hip-hop for a lot longer than I have, so I definitely trust his judgement when it comes to what's good.

Anyway, yeah, I haven't really been listening to much else lately. Sometimes you just find some good stuff that you want to chill with for a while. Anyone have any suggestions for what else to be listening to? What's spinnin' in your players these days?

2 comments:

Boston Jen said...

Did you see Friday Night Lights? Do you remember 90% of the soundtrack being instrumental... it was Explosions in the Sky. They're great for doing homework to.

Ithiel said...

Psyche Origami. Another hip-hop/rap group. They had a song or two on adult swim.