11/09/2005

Comings and Goings

Not much new to report lately. Classes are going pretty well. And since that's about all I do these days, that's pretty much all I have to talk about.

Got an 85% on my last algebra test, which is better than I was expecting. I felt fairly confident when I sat down to take the test, but then, with the sheet of paper sitting in front of me, my mind seemed to freeze up. Which sucked.

But, apparently, it didn't suck as badly as I feared. And I got a 95% on the quiz previous to the test, so I think I'm in a pretty good spot with one quiz and two tests to go (parts of chapter 9, over the quadratic formula, and the cummulative final).

I've kinda been kicking myself all day today over my World Civ test from last night. I nailed the multiple choice and fill-in-the-blank parts, missed maybe one question, but I forgot a not insignificant little part for the essay.

We were to describe the three main "religions" of early China (I put religion in quotes because one of the three isn't exactly a religion): Confucianism, Daoism, and Legalism. I described them as best I could remember, which was pretty well, I think, except I forgot one offshoot of Daoism.

I was sitting there last night, looking over my essay, and it seemed a bit short to me, and I kept reading it over and over again, but I couldn't think of what was missing. And then this morning, first thought that pops into my head: Popular Daoism. Which was followed shortly by my second thought: Fuck.

Oh well. Too late to worry about it now. Like I said, I know I did well on the rest of the test, and most of the essay, so I'm not expecting too many points to be taken off.

So a big group outing is being organized to go see the new Harry Potter flick next weekend. I've never read the books. Not a one. Though, last year, somehow, I was able to turn my former roommate onto them, and she practically devoured them. She cried after reading the last one.

She dragged me to see the third movie (I hadn't much cared to see the first two, and I still haven't seen them - Chris Columbus is far from a favorite director), and I will admit to enjoying it. It was nice and dark and spooky, as far as kids' movies go, thanks to Gary Oldman and Alfonso Cuaron (now there's a director).

This fourth movie was directed by Mike Newell, who directed one of my all-time favorite movies, Donnie Brasco, so I have relatively high hopes for it. It garnered a PG-13, too, which can do nothing but help the story's presentation.

Suppose I should pre-purchase my ticket.

I've recently completed many-a-novel, and all were great, and some were incredible, otherwise I wouldn't have read them. The list includes Anansi Boys, by Neil Gaiman, Iron Sunrise, sequel to Singularity Sky, by Charles Stross, and Private Wars, the second Queen & Country novel, by Greg Rucka. Right now I'm working on Market Forces, Richard Morgan's third novel.

So many books have come out towards the end of the year, and I've gotten my hand on a few that I'd been meaning to read, it makes me kinda wish I was still keeping track of my "50 Novels in a Year" list. I've gotta be at least around twenty-five by now, if not more. Halfway isn't too bad with a month and a half to go. I had a lot on my mind this year. Plus, you know, there's all those comics and graphic novels I've read, so those have to count for something. I've read many thousands, nay, tens, perhaps hundreds, of thousands of pages this year. The amount of words I've read surely would fit into fifty novels.

Surely.

And that's all I know, which, as usual, seems to be more than I thought I knew when I first started out.

5 comments:

AliKat said...

Hey Grammar God those are quotes around religion not parenthese ;) I don't remember dragging you to the movie you went willingly enough, and my reading the books came after seeing the movie. You said I should read more and when we went to Best Buy after the movie I said fine if they have the fourth book I will read it, not thinking they would have it of course. And that is the origin of Caligirl's obsession with Harry Potter. By the way I cried even harder after reading the sixth book. I am glad to hear school is going so well for you!

Ithiel said...

I was wondering about your "parentheses" as well (see that's funny because I put 1031's parentheses arround the word parentheses).

Prepurchase of your HP ticket is encouraged. This way you won't have to wait in line w/ the kiddos, you can go right in and pickup your ticket.

Yeah I know I hit 30 on the 50 book challenge, but I doubt I got any farther.

Speaking of books, can you bring anansi boys w/ you next friday?

P.S. Well done on your quizes

1031 said...

It was late. I was tired. Gimme a break. And anyway, I can edit my posts to correct little things like that, but you can't edit your comments, so now you both look crazy for imagining parentheses around teh word "religion."

Crazy, crazy, crazy.

And okay, maybe I wasn't dragged per se. What can I say, Gary Oldman has some weird allure going on.

And I think you might have missed your chance for Anansi Boys, Ith. Drunkenly staggering around like you were. Do I want my book in the hands of one who drunkenly staggers around like that?

And thank you. I'm glad (and highly surprised) that school is going as well as it is, too. Wish I had had the bright idea to go back years ago, but better late than never, I suppose.

pfzgmeol - pronounced "fiz-gi-me-ol." a male potency drug created by Gremlims, named for the furry little ball of energy from The Dark Crystal, Fizzgig.

ComicFanatic said...

All I know that if comics would count, I would have won that race a long ass time ago!

AliKat said...

Maybe the time wasn't right for you to go back years ago, as long as you are doing well now that is all that counts.