1/03/2006

And...I'm sick

This always seems to happen when school starts. Sore throat, coughing up blech, feeling like crap. I made it through classes yesterday without having to talk too much, which was nice, but I have a paper to write today and it's difficult to concentrate when you're hacking up gunk every few minutes. This sucks. I think all this is because it's been so warm lately, compared to just a couple weeks ago. It's supposed to be fifty degrees today, which is, you know, slightly above normal for this time of year.

I need to go to UNO and buy books for those classes, which begin next week. Need to get a parking pass and a school ID, too. I didn't even want to get out of bed this morning.

Fuck.

So there's been all this coverage on MSNBC about that mine explosion in West Virginia, and the thirteen trapped (probably dead, in my opinion) miners, and I can't help thinking that this really isn't a news story of national importance. I feel bad for the miners and their families, sure, but there's nothing I can do. It doesn't affect me. It doesn't affect the nation. There is news of greater importance to the country than trapped miners in West Virginia.

News like this (which I fuckin' love. I can't wait to hear the names that come out of this story) and this, news that affects us as a country.

That's too much to ask, I suppose. Nothing spells r-a-t-i-n-g-s like death and tragedy.

2 comments:

AliKat said...

Sorry you are not feeling well. I hope you get better soon! At least you aren't trapped in a mine ;)

Angelkris said...

I've been quite intruiged by this whole mine deal. I guess the mine was previously sighted with like 46 U.S government citations for safety and health violations and like 142 local citations or something like that. It is interesting to learn about the training miners go through to prepare themselves for something like this- codes to tap, ways to trap clean air, proper water rationing, etc. Yeah- yeah- I'll keep watching for updates.