2/03/2006

Thank god that's over

So I gave my first speech yesterday, for Public Speaking. It was titled "Survival Amongst the Nerds," a how-to guide to surviving a weekend at the San Diego Comic-Con. Very geeky, I know, but I don't care, y'know? I mean, I am who I am, I like what I like, and other people's opinions don't really matter all that much to me anymore, if they ever did.

I had a pretty decent PowerPoint presentation, with pictures from various conventions, the size of the crowds, people dressed up like idiots (not that I'm judging - whatever makes 'em happy) in their various costumes, and those got some pretty good laughs, which is what I was going for, of course. If one cannot poke fun at oneself and one's hobbies, well, then one takes oneself way too seriously and needs to lighten the hell up.

I needed a bit more practice, I think. Clicking the mouse to switch the slides while speaking is not something I've had a lot of practice with, so that threw me off a little. I'll work on that for my next speech, which I think I'm going to do on comic industry legend Will Eisner, father of the modern day graphic novel. His contributions to the world of comics are insanely numerous.

Anyway, yeah, not sure I did all that great on my speech. I repeated myself a couple of times, lost my place in my thoughts once or twice...I mean, I got the general idea across, but I could have done a better job of presenting it.

Didn't too so hot on my science test from last week, either, though I still have a 92% in the class, so I'm not worried. Just need to study a bit more for the next test. I have some labs and a take-home quiz to work on this weekend, due Monday, which should be easy enough, and I have plenty of time. I mean, I gotta do something during the 8-hour Super Bowl pregame crap.

Media Writing is, without a doubt, my favorite class right now. In fact, I don't remember the last time I ever enjoyed a class this much. It's so much fun to take apart how the news is covered, why certain stories are covered more than others, how they could be covered better. I love the news. I love politics. I love debate. This class just feeds into all that. It's fantastic.

Super Bowl Sunday is fast-approaching. I feel strangely calm about the whole thing. I haven't watched much of the hype these past couple of weeks. I hate all the talking heads yapping back and forth. I just want the game to be played. I'm confident in the Steelers. I know the Seahawks are a good team, otherwise they wouldn't be here, but there's something about this Pittsburgh team, a swagger, that's very comforting. This year feels nothing like ten years ago, when the Steelers were going against Dallas in Super Bowl 30. I remember much angst that year. This year, not so much.

It will be a good game.

3 comments:

mEg said...

I wouldn't be too worries. Speech class at UNO, for me at least, was a joke. It's pretty well-known that the majority is there because they must take it nomatter what. And I think my instructor knew this. I did HORRIBLEY on the speeches and passed with flying colors. The woman teaching it also gave us every answer to the midterm and final. ...I'm not complaining. Just don't be too worried, I think.

Angelkris said...

I agree with Megs. I remember taking speech at UNO and it seemed like as long as you put forth some sort of effort- you got a passing grade. They may have changed things though- I never had to do a power point or anything like that. I did give a persuasive speech on why people should believe in Santa Clause though. That was kinda fun.

1031 said...

I'm not super concerned about the speech class. Just upset with myself because I thought I was gonna do better. I'm sure I'll pass the class, though.

So, should even Jewish people believe in Santa? Hmmm?

C'mon, persuade me. :)