3/06/2006

Brief Oscar Recap

Jon Stewart nailed it. I think there was more hype concerning his hosting the event than there was about the nominees, and he absolutely killed. I hope they bring him back next year.

I was glad to see George Clooney win for Syriana, though I'm a bit disappointed Good Night, and Good Luck was shut out.

Even though it didn't win, it was very cool to hear Dustin Hoffman say "A History of Violence, written by Josh Olson, based on the graphic novel by John Wagner and Vince Locke."

Eminem won an Oscar for "Lose Yourself," from 8 Mile, a few years back, and this year, "It's Hard Out Here For a Pimp" took home the statue. That's just awesome.

I was a bit surprised that Felicity Huffman didn't win for Transamerica, but I'm sure Reese Witherspoon is equally deserving. (Still need to see Walk the Line, actually, and a host of other movies, too.)

Crash's win for Best Picture surprised me a bit, too, considering all the love Brokeback Mountain has been getting all year.

The tribute to Bob Altman was great. He's such an amazing director. It's hard to believe, with all the wonderful films he's made over the years, that he's never won an Oscar.

I realize they put together all the montages and stuff weeks in advance, but would it have killed someone to at least mention Darren McGavin and Don Knotts at the end of the tribute for those who died in the last year?

All in all, a very good show. It was pretty entertaining the whole way through even though it went three and a half hours.

I like the Oscars. In many ways, it always reminds me of why I love movies and storytelling so much. I'm never going to be up on that stage accepting any awards, but that doesn't mean I can stop writing.

No comments: