4/19/2006

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

A little more than two years ago, I saw the Yeah Yeah Yeahs play at Sokol in what was the last concert I saw in Omaha before moving out to CA. I haven't been to very many concerts since. Money's tight, don't have time, etc. Thanks to Aussie, though, I was able to see the Yeahs again last night. It was definitely a welcome break from stressing about classes.

It was a great show. They played a lot of songs from the new album, and a few "classics" from their first one. Karen O always seems to be into the music, always having fun. For the life of me, I can't understand how she can screech like she does night after night and then go back to her normal voice.

(Speaking of Screech, did you know that Saved By the Bell is part of Adult Swim now?)

Nick Zinner really is an amazing guitarist. He creates sounds from that thing that I've never heard before, not even from Tom Morello (Rage Against the Machine, Audioslave), the gold standard for creative uses of a guitar.

The crowd was really into the show, too. I think they would have stayed for another hour's worth of songs. This show further reiterated my feelings of getting old. There were so many freakin' kids there, but I also saw a grandmother or two, too, so I suppose I shouldn't complain.

I have no idea who the opening bands were, but I wasn't impressed. I mean, sure, I guess the one-man metal band was...interesting, but not really my cup of tea.

Now I must return to working on my final speech for class tomorrow. I think this one will go over well. If nothing else, I hope I get some decent laughs out of it. I mean, if you can't laugh about the Flying Spaghetti Monster, well, you have issues.

2 comments:

Angelkris said...

I saw that Saved By The Bell was added to their line-up and questioned Mick about this oddity. He concluded that it may be a joke or something that will be revealed in time.

1031 said...

Apparently they're airing the show for two weeks as a "trial run." It's kinda funny, in the corner of the screen they superimposed the phrase "Crappy live action 80s show network" or something like that.

I hear they're also getting a lot of shit from people on their message boards. No one seems to want Saved By the Bell on Adult Swim.

But, I mean, hello? Kelly Kapowski, y'know? Who doesn't want to watch that?