11/21/2006

Bob Altman died

I have the full story at the Links blog.

I've always loved Altman's movies. I think the first one I ever saw was The Player, with Tim Robbins. God, that's a funny movie. And because it was so different from almost all the other movies I'd seen to that point, I just to find out who this director was and what else he'd done.

Little did I know that I was about to stumble upon a treasure trove of greatness.

Pick a movie of his, any movie, M*A*S*H, Nashville, Gosford Park, you name it, and there's something brilliant about it, whether it's his overlapping dialogue or his superlong takes, with the camera tracking around a set without a single edit. Do you realize how difficult that is, to film a scene continuously and have no one screw up their cues? The man was a genius.

He never won an Oscar award, which is a shame, because he certainly deserved one. I think he was bestowed with an honorary one just this year, at the award ceremony in March. I guess that means all his movies were so great, it's impossible to pick the best one.

He was one of a kind. He'll definitely be missed.

No comments: