11/25/2006

Thankfully...

It's only Saturday, but the holiday weekend that began on Wednesday is nearly over. Oy, this time of year drives me nuts. It's great to see family and everything, sure, but there's really no such thing as alone time during the holidays. It's like everyone needs to fit six months worth of seeing each other into a few short days. It's kind of maddening and dizzying.

I like peace and quiet. Little children and lots of family aren't exactly conducive to that sort of environment. The closest I came to having some time by myself was yesterday when my parents and brother and sister-in-law took my niece and nephew to see Happy Feet, but I was home with my grandmother the whole time, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, except that she's a little crazy in her old age.

I've no idea what's going on today except for family pictures @ five and then dinner afterwards. During the day, perhaps there will be time and solitude enough to get some work done for class, but I doubt it. I tend to work pretty well under pressure anyway, so I'm not too concerned about it, but I'd still like to get some work done.

So, what am I thankful for this year? I dunno. I'm thankful I only have three more semesters of school, I guess. It had to happen sooner or later, I guess, my finishing college. Unfortunately it's taken this long, but on the other hand, I'm at least going to be done with it, so whatever.

I'm thankful for the family I've got, despite the lack of peace and quiet and the abundance of crazy children. (My niece is currently singing to herself in the bathroom.) I'm fairly certain I wouldn't trade my crazy family for anyone else's. At I understand this one. More or less.

I'm thankful for my small, but important group of friends. They're as supportive as anyone, and many times they help me take my mind off the more stressful aspects of my life (self-induced stress to be sure, but stress nonetheless.)

I'm extremely thankful the Democrats took back Congress a couple weeks ago. Like I said to Ryan last night, though, they need to remember that people didn't vote for them, but rather voted against the Republicans. The Dems need to now earn what they've been given and repair the damage done by the incompetent boobs in the White House.

And I'm thankful for all the kick ass comics and novels and movies and TV shows that I've read/watched over the past year. Stories are how we make sense of the world we live in, and how we temporarily forget about the world at the same time. The rare gift of escapism should not be undervalued. Stories help us keep our sanity, which we could use a bit more of lately, if you ask me.

1 comment:

Jason said...

But, you got 8 crazy nights approaching fast. That means fried food and wine. Well that might be everyday for some of us.

8 Crazy Nights - sounds like a movie.