12/14/2006

...and I'm done

So here's how I think my final grades will break down:

Astronomy - 'A'

Astronomy Lab - 'A+'

Fiction Writing - 'A'

News Writing - 'B'

Small Group Communications - 'B+'

I'll update if there are any changes, but I'm pretty sure that's how it's all gonna turn out, which is perfectly okay with me. I'm just glad to be done with it all.

And now I have about three weeks in which to do nothing except watch movies and play video games. And maybe read, but I'm running out of books. (Reading The Silence of the Lambs right now; I'd never read it before, because I could just watch the movie, but I figured I should give it a shot - I think I like the movie better; the book is kinda...dry.)

Anyone else watch The Lost Room on Sci-Fi the past few days? It was a mini-series about a motel room that exists...outside reality(?) and all the objects that were in the room when it...left reality(?) all have special powers, like the scissors that rotate things or the bus ticket that sends you to Gallup, New Mexico.

Anyway, it was a pretty decent show, all things considered, except the ending was kind of lacking. It just sort of...ended. No real resolution. Just, "Here's where we decided to stop telling the story even though there are plot threads dangling all over the place." I can make three assumptions based on this ending: a) the writers didn't know how to end the story; 2) there is a lot of footage laying on the cutting room floor because they ran out of time; and C) the mini-series was conceived as a back door pilot, that is, if it did well enough in the ratings, Sci-Fi wanted it left open-ended so they have the option of turning it into a full-fledged series sometime next year.

The third option seems most plausible, but I'm not sure where the money would come from if they were to want to create a series. They pulled the plug on Stargate SG-1 (coming back in April with its last 10 episodes, to be followed by two two-hour direct-to-DVD movies) so they'd have money for the Battlestar Galactica prequel spin-off, Caprica. They have The Dresden Files and Painkiller Jane starting in 2007 and Stargate: Atlantis and Eureka returning, and, of course, BSG...I dunno. Either way, it was an interesting story, The Lost Room. I just would have preferred more of a resolution.

Speaking of TV shows, the Golden Globe nominations were announced and Heroes (one of my top three favorite shows right now, the others being Battlestar Galactica and The Wire (season four just ended and I can't wait for season five!)) received two nods, for best drama and best supporting actor (Masi Oka - "Hiro"). So congrats to the little show that no one thought was going to amount to much of anything.

House has been pretty good so far this year, too. Can't say I care too much about all the medical mumbojumbo, but that's not what the show's about anyway. Hugh Laurie just continues to impress the hell out of me. The show is worth watching for his performance alone (actually, he might be the only reason to watch the show). House is such a captivating character, though I'm beginning to wonder how long they're going to drag out this Vicodin-addiction thing. At least 'til after the new year, obviously.

Anyone know when the second season of Rome is scheduled to start up? Or Big Love? I know Ricky Gervais' Extras begins its second season on HBO next month. Gervais was on The Daily Show last night. Very funny guy. He cracks me up just by sitting there.

I suppose I'm just sort of babbling about nothing here. It's like I'm free of school and I have nothing else to think about, so my brain is being drowned in pop culture.

I think Hanukkah starts tomorrow night. Yet another of the "They're tried to kill us, we survived, let's eat" Jewish holidays. Probably the most popular, too, what with all the gift giving, which, as we all know, only came about because Hanukkah generally falls in December and all the little Jewish kids felt left out when their gentile friends would get all these toys from some invisible fat man who stalks them and breaks into their homes. Christians have the weirdest holidays. I mean, c'mon, "Ho, ho, ho?"

This is just so weird. It's like I have nothing to do for the first time in...well, months. I mean, the break between my summer classes and the fall semester was, what, a week? Week and a half? Long enough for me to go to Chicago and Pittsburgh, I guess.

I'd love to go somewhere over this break, too, but I'm not sure I can afford it. I get my last paycheck of the semester last week, but that's it, I think, until the first week of January. I'll probably start working in the chem office that week before spring classes start up, so that'll be a nice break from all the nothing I'm going to be doing for the next few weeks.

I wonder when my financial aid monies will become available...

Maybe I'll go play God of War. I bought that game over the summer and have yet to play it. Got too busy with school. Plus I wanted to play through Final Fantasy VII again, but I've given up on that because, a) I've already beaten it and b) it's a long fuckin' game.

Oh, for any Firefly/Serenity fans out there, a bit of interesting Browncoat news: work is beginning on a MMO (Massive-Multiplayer Online) game set in Whedon's future 'verse. Odds are it won't see the light of day 'til 2008, if at all, but at least this gives us somethin' to look forward to. Or, you somethin' to look forward to. I don't care much for MMOs. Gaming, to me, is a singular experience where I get to get away from people and insulate myself against the real world, not a place to socialize. If I wanted to do that, I'd go outside.

And on that note, I bid you good evening.

2 comments:

rose said...

I feel the same about video games, as Johnny just pointed out while reading over my shoulder. You are right about those christians, they are as crazy as their holidays. In fact, we decided to celebrate Hannakah next year since we don't have any faith, why not switch it up a little?

The Writer said...

You are officially over qualified for the position of President of the United States.

Well done.