2/25/2007

Oscar picks '07

::UPDATE - Midnight, 2/26/07::

Click here for a complete list of the evening's nominees and winners.

...

Some were chosen by my head, some by my heart. As promised, here (in bold) are my picks for this year's Academy Awards:

Best Picture
Babel
The Departed
Letters From Iwo Jima
Little Miss Sunshine
The Queen

It's possible that Sunshine could play spoiler here, but I honestly believe that The Departed is one of Marty Scorsese's best pictures, and it's way past time the Academy recognized his work.

Best Director
Alejandro González Iñárritu, Babel
Martin Scorsese, The Departed
Clint Eastwood, Letters From Iwo Jima
Stephen Frears, The Queen
Paul Greengrass, United 93

Like I said above, (I sure hope) this is Marty's year.

Best Actor
Leonardo DiCaprio, Blood Diamond
Ryan Gosling, Half Nelson
Peter O'Toole, Venus
Will Smith, The Pursuit of Happyness
Forest Whitaker, The Last King of Scotland

I've always enjoyed Whitaker's work, but this is the first time he's ever truly given himself over to a character. He was absolutely brilliant as Ugandan dictator Idi Amin. He earned this award.

Best Actress
Penélope Cruz, Volver
Judi Dench, Notes on a Scandal
Helen Mirren, The Queen
Meryl Streep, The Devil Wears Prada
Kate Winslet, Little Children

I haven't seen any of these films yet, and it appears unlikely that I will prior to Sunday night's awards ceremony, so I'm going with my head here and picking the woman who's already taken home something like two dozen awards for her role as England's Queen Elizabeth II.

Best Supporting Actor
Alan Arkin, Little Miss Sunshine
Jackie Earle Haley, Little Children
Djimon Hounsou, Blood Diamond
Eddie Murphy, Dreamgirls
Mark Wahlberg, The Departed

Going with my head once again here. Everyone has been raving about Murphy's performance in Dreamgirls, it'd be a surprise if he didn't win. Personally, I loved Alan Arkin as the heroin-addicted grandfather in Sunshine.

Best Supporting Actress
Adriana Barraza, Babel
Cate Blanchett, Notes on a Scandal
Abigail Breslin, Little Miss Sunshine
Jennifer Hudson, Dreamgirls
Rinko Kikuchi, Babel

See above. Hudson has seemed like a lock for this award since before the film even opened.

Best Adapted Screenplay
Sacha Baron Cohen, Anthony Hines, Peter Baynham, Dan Mazer and Todd Phillips, Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan
Alfonso Cuarón, Timothy J. Sexton, David Arata, Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby, Children of Men
William Monahan, The Departed
Todd Field and Tom Perrotta, Little Children
Patrick Marber, Notes on a Scandal

While my heart wants to vote for Borat, I can't overlook Bill Monahan's gritty, brutal script. He wrote The Departed like 21st century Shakespeare. I mean, c'mon, everybody freakin' dies.

Best Original Screenplay
Guillermo Arriaga, Babel
Iris Yamashita and Paul Haggis, Letters From Iwo Jima
Michael Arndt, Little Miss Sunshine
Guillermo del Toro, Pan's Labyrinth
Peter Morgan, The Queen

I so want Pan's Labyrinth to win this award, because I just love del Toro's work, but this might be the only big award Sunshine has a real chance to win.

Best Editing
Babel
Blood Diamond
Children of Men
The Departed
United 93

What can I say? The Departed was one of my favorite movies of 2006.

Best Cinematography
The Black Dahlia
Children of Men
The Illusionist
Pan's Labyrinth
The Prestige

Watch the movie. It's nothing less than stunning to look at.

Best Art Direction
Dreamgirls
The Good Shepherd
Pan's Labyrinth
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
The Prestige

I don't know what looked more spectacular, the bright, vibrant fantasy world or the harsh, somber real one. Both are a real treat for the eye.

Best Foreign Language Film
After the Wedding, Denmark
Days of Glory (Indigenes), Algeria
The Lives of Others, Germany
Pan's Labyrinth, Mexico
Water, Canada

Labyrinth is such a grim(m), beautiful and touching movie, in any language. I can't wait to see what del Toro gives us next. (Hellboy 2, I think.)

Best Animated Feature
Cars
Happy Feet
Monster House

C'mon, it's Pixar.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh, so the first time I've posted here, takes a minute to figure out. I think you're right on a lot of those you spoke of. I wonder though did you see children of men, we saw it this weekend. Quite an interesting picture. Troubling for me to get through. I didn't feel like I got the whole idea of what the book was trying to say so I'm gonna go look for the book. Guess I should rent the departed so I can see what you're talking about!

AliKat said...

Wow, you almost got all of them right. You so smart.

1031 said...

Sarah, welcome to my blog. :) Glad you could stop by.

I did see Children of Men. With alikat, actually. I think we both really enjoyed it. It was a little bleak, except for, you know, "Tomorrow" at the end. I'd like to read the book, too. It's on my list.

And yes, everyone should see The Departed. It's won Academy Awards now and everything. Really, it's such a great movie.

And yes, ali, I am so smart. ::Patting self on back::

I wanted to go with Happy Feet for animated film, because that's what a lot of people were saying, but I went with Pixar because of their pedigree. I hadn't seen any of those movies.

And I've been wanting to see the one that beat Labyrinth for best foreign film, what's it called, The Lives of Others. I've read a lot about it and it's supposed to be really good. I was kind of worried that it might beat del Toro, but I had to go with my heart on that one.

And Alan Arkin surprised me. Like I wrote, I absolutely wanted him to win, but after all the attention and acclaim Eddie Murphy received for Dreamgirls, I didn't think he really had a chance.

So that's, what, three out of 10 that I got wrong? Not too shabby if I do say so myself. ;)

Blarneyman said...

Arkin didn't deserve to win for LMS.

And why are you linking to CNN, you hypocrit. You should've just linked to my blog which actually has links to imdb and everything for every name.

So there.

1031 said...

I didn't say Arkin deserved to win, I just wanted him to. I like him. He's a good actor, but I really was expecting Eddie Murphy to win that one.

And I don't know what about linking to CNN is hypocritical, but the link is fixed. Happy now? You just want more people to read your crazy Irish-brogue rantings.

Blarneyman said...

Oh, I was kidding. I like to run amok on other people's blogs. You better link back to CNN because I've dumped my winners list post. :(

Sorry, lmao.

1031 said...

And wishy-washy. Did I mention that the whiner was wishy-washy? ;)