2/06/2007

Something that bugs me

This will be rather quick, but I just read this quote this morning and I feel the need to vent.

After winning the Super Bowl on Sunday, Indianapolis Colts head coach Tony Dungy said the following:

"The Lord gave me the opportunity, Lovie [Smith] and I, and we're certainly not the best, certainly not the most qualified, and I know there's some other guys that could have done it if given the chance."


Dungy is referring to his being crowned The-First-Black-Coach-to-Win-the-Super-Bowl and the lack of black coaches employed by the league when he first started in 1981. And I'm afraid I must take umbrage (ha, that was even my word-of-the-day today) with his statement that the "Lord" had something to do with him winning the Super Bowl.

I'm all for people having faith and spirituality. Believe whatever you want to believe. However, the "Lord" did not give Tony Dungy (or anybody else) an opportunity to be a head coach, to win a big game, whatever. You know where that opportunity comes from? The owner.

The "Lord" didn't hire you. The "Lord" isn't signing your paychecks. The owner of your team is.

Did you win the Super Bowl because the "Lord" wanted you to? So that means the "Lord" wanted the Bears to lose, right?

The new Pittsburgh Steelers head coach, Mike Tomlin, said something similar the day he was hired, something about "the Lord" bringing him to Pittsburgh. Excuse me, but the Rooney family brought you to Pittsburgh. They interviewed you. They hired you. If it was the "Lord's" doing, then you're working for free, right? The "Lord" will pay you if "He's" the one that brought you to Pittsburgh.

And before anyone gets their undies in a bunch, this isn't a rant against "God" or a belief in "God." It's more a rant against, well, against people deferring responsibility. If the "Lord" brought you to Pittsburgh, if the "Lord" gave you the opportunity to win the Super Bowl, then that also means the "Lord" can make your life miserable. If Mike Tomlin doesn't do well in Pittsburgh, whose fault is it? His or his "Lord's"?

I guess it's all part of this idea of being humble, right? Humbling yourself before "God" or whatever, but you know what, taking pride in yourself and in your work isn't a sin, all right? (Because there really isn't any such thing as sin, just like there isn't any such thing as virtue.) It's OK to stand there and say, "I deserve this opportunity based on my past successes. I've earned this." Take some responsibility for your situation in life.

Crediting "God" is the same as blaming "God." It means that you're not in control of your life, which is total bullshit. It's your life. You are in charge. I know some people may not be able to handle that sort of responsibility, but tough shit. That's life. Deal with it.

1 comment:

raptorpack said...

The Bears lost because they were afraid of rain...did the Lord make it rain? I don't know. What I do know that apparently the Bears thought that a wet ball felt a little to icky to hold onto...