3/02/2007

Done with the dentist

I've been going to the dentist for the past month, the first time for my first checkup in, well, years, and the subsequent three visits were for cavities (Okay, so it had been many, many years). And now I'm finally finished ... until after the semester, when I get to have my wisdom teeth yanked out because they, too, are cavity-riddled.

Let this be a lesson to everyone. Dentists are our friends.

I'm not sure what the total amount of snow we got yesterday is. I could look it up, I guess, but I don't rightly care. We got a lot. I took a few pictures yesterday morning and tossed them up on my flickr page. The poor dog couldn't go outside for a while, because the snow was up to her head in places.

I don't remember the last time I had a full snow day. I think last year, maybe, there was a half day due to weather, but I don't remember. Anyway, all I did yesterday was read comics and watch the first ... 10 episodes, I think, of season 3 of Buffy. Hey, it's not like I had anything better to do. Except maybe read for class and get ready for my two tests next week, but hey, that's what Sunday is for.

Unless I end up watching more Buffy.

I had totally forgotten that the Big Bad from season 7, The First, made its first (ha, kind of a pun there, or something) appearance in season 3, tormenting Angel with visions of his past victims. I was sitting there watching the episode, "Amends," and I thought to myself, "Boy, those guys with no eyes sure do look familiar."

I wonder if, during that third season, if Whedon knew he was going to use The First during the final season of Buffy, whenever that happened to be, if he was planning that far down the road. Wouldn't surprise me if he was. He's a smart one, that Joss fella.

Television writing fascinates me, the serialized nature of it. I mean, I love it. I absolutely love it. I grew up reading comics, which are serialized stories, monthly instead of weekly, but you get the picture (ha, comics, picture, I'm a riot). I still like short stories, stand alone episodes or issues, of course, as long as they reveal something about the characters. The story itself may not have anything to do with the longer, overall arc of the show or comic, but there has to be at least some character development going on.

That's why I don't care for shows like CSI and Law & Order. There might very well be some minor character development, but there's no bigger story to follow. It's all wrapped up, nicely and neatly, in an hour or two. For the most part, the characters don't change from the beginning of the season to the end. There's no arc for them to follow.

Speaking of arcs, there are some writers, I'm sure, who, when they start a season, have no idea where it's going to go and how it's going to end, which I honestly can't understand.

From a strictly storytelling standpoint, how can you tell any stories without knowing how you want the story to end? There has to be at least some vague, general notion, I would think. I find it extremely difficult to even start writing without knowing where I want my characters to be at the end. I may not know exactly how I'm going to get them there, that's the fun part (life is about the journey, not the destination), but I know where they're going.

Anyway, I have some phone calls to make concerning tomorrow night's Movie Night. It should still be a go unless the weather turns horribly worse in the next 24 hours, which it could very well do. This is Omaha, after all.

No comments: