4/12/2007

So it goes

Kurt Vonnegut died yesterday, so that's a bummer. He's been one of my favorite writers since we first read Cat's Cradle in high school. I'm not sure I fully understood any of his work the first time I would read it, but that was part of the fun, you know? Going back and rereading his novels, sometimes years later, and suddenly getting that "Ah-ha!" moment.

Vonnegut hadn't written a novel in years, not since Timequake in 1997, but he wrote essays and articles and he was, you know, around. His presence always felt reassuring, grandfatherly, like he was looking over our collective shoulder, smiling and nodding, or, more likely, grimacing and cursing us all under his breath. His work was bleak, but always fascinating. He had a love/hate relationship with life. He didn't much care for humanity as a whole, but he was always pushing us to be better than we were. Better than we are.

He will be missed.

It might be a lie to say that I've been busy lately, and that's why I haven't been blogging much, save for the various movie reviews I've done over the past few weeks. I should be busy. I have three papers to write between now and the end of the semester, plus I'll have two tests during finals week. But my heart really hasn't been in it. At least in regards to this one paper, for my Media Research class. It's been kind of a pain, though a pain of my own making, I'm sure.

It'll get done, as will the other assignments. I just need to find me some of that motivation stuff. The good news is that I have all the research for the paper done. I just have to, y'know, read the research now, and then start that whole writing thing.

I admit, I've been a bit distracted lately. Y'know how, back on that To-Do List, I mentioned the bit about finding an internship for the summer. Well, I sort of did. And I don't think I could've lucked out any more than I seem to have.

My internship will be with Boom! Studios, a very small comic book company located in, wait for it ... Los Angeles. Yes, two years after my not-so-triumphant return to Omaha, I will be heading back to the Left Coast, this time with a job (albeit a non-paying job) at one of the coolest new publishers in the business. A publisher that, incidentally, has numerous ties to both the TV and film industries to boot.

Comics, television and movies, all rolled into one? It's almost like a dream come true, y'know? I mean, that pretty much covers the wide spectrum of my addictions, does it not? I mean, I think the only thing that could make this job more appealing was if I got to do play-by-play with Vin Scully at Dodger Stadium, too. (Maybe I should look into that ...)

The dates haven't been finalized yet, but I told them I'm free after finals week and don't have to be back in Omaha 'til toward the end of August, so that's a good three months, give or take a week.

As far as my duties go, well, right now it looks like I'll be going to both the San Diego and Chicago comic conventions this summer, and maybe a couple others. I suppose I get to be the Boom! booth babe. (I see you shuddering out there.) There will be the usually office-type work, too. Phones, emails, Web site, etc. Since the company is so small, it'll basically be me and one other guy in the office, not counting "the Boss," publisher Ross Richie.

I'm hoping to get to do some more creative stuff, too. Maybe some editing, some proofing, that sort of thing. Since it's a small company, all the writers and artists are freelance, so they work from home, wherever home is. Some do live in L.A., though, so I'm hoping to get to meet a few of them, including everyone's favorite Monkey.

If you can't tell, I'm excited about this internship. Super-excited. Uber-excited, even. But I need to stop thinking about it and focus on the work in front of me. It's just, you know, kinda difficult to concentrate.

My grandmother was just in town for a week. She left Tuesday morning. She's finally agreed that she shouldn't be living by herself in a city where practically no one would notice if she fell and couldn't get up. So she'll be moving to Omaha in August, when her lease is up. At least here, if (more like when - at this point, it's become an eventuality) she falls, she'll have more family around to help her up.

I'm a wee bit sick, too. Some kinda craptastic infection. The usual stuff, sore throat, coughing up blech. I've felt pretty tired the past couple days, too. The stuffed nose has made it difficult to sleep the last two nights. I saw my doctor yesterday and got some meds, so hopefully this'll clear up by the weekend.

Other than all that, I guess there's really nothing else goin' on. I should work on this Powerpoint that I'm presenting to my Media Ethics class this afternoon. It's basically finished. I just need to touch it up a little, change a slide or two. Then I get to start working on the paper to accompany the case study I'm presenting, which is due next week.

I also need to prepare for my second interview in my Interviewing class, which I'll be doing on Tuesday. Then the paper for that is due the following week. As is the survey interview I need to work on.

So it goes.

2 comments:

the artist formerly known as Boston Jen said...

Sad:

I feel a certain kinship with Vonnegut being a fellow Hoosier and all, aside from my love of his work. The world has really lost a great literary figure.

Happy:

CONGRATS ON THE INTERNSHIP!!!
Now go do the work you have to get done before you go and have fun all summer ~cough~ work your ass off for free...

raptorpack said...

I didn't realize he did cat's cradle. That is an awesome book...all be it extremely confusing.