5/24/2007

Day 3 and Counting

Yesterday was the boss's birthday and this morning I was invited out for dinner and drinks in celebration. We went to this big outdoor mall near the office, and after I lost sight of Ross in the parking garage (we both drove, with me following), I wandered around the restaurants until I stumbled upon the group, which included: Ross (the boss), his fiancee Johanna (a writer of various things, including, I learned, lesbian pirate fanfic - "Argh, I love bein' a pirate!"), Mike Alan Nelson (a Boom! writer - you'll sense a theme here soon), Andy Cosby and his wife (whose name I sadly forget - Cori, maybe?), Corey, Mark Waid and the Kung Fu Monkey himself, John Rogers. That's enough name dropping for one night, I think.

Needless to say, I was in comic geek heaven.

They were all super nice and I heard a lot of great stories, none of which I think I should repeat here. Suffice it to say, I was in stitches for the majority of the evening. Not to mention beer and food (curry-basted shrimp and steak - mmmmm).

That's actually the best part about the job thus far. No, not the beer and food, though that was great, too. No, what I'm referring to is the stories, the behind-the-scenes stuff. I sit in Ross's office, across the desk from him, because there's no where else for me to sit. So I get to hear his phone conversations and I get to pick his brain about the industry. There are so many really fuckin' cool things that I know Boom! is going to be doing, but I can't talk about any of them. But trust me. Really Fuckin' Cool.

Yesterday and today were kind of more of the same. Packing up comics to be shipped off to creators, and taking 360 pounds worth of comics to DHL to be shipped to New York for next week's Book Expo. Believe me, that's something I'm not looking forward to ever do again. Nine 40 pound boxes. Not fun. But it did get me out of the office for nearly an hour toward the end of the day, so that was a plus. It was gorgeous outside. Low 70s and sunny. Again, a little windy, but I think that's a worthwhile trade-off.

Not sure what's on tap for tomorrow, though I'm sure boxes and envelopes and packing tape will be involved somehow. So I shall bid y'all adieu for now. I'm sure I'll have more to write in the next day or two.

Be good.

1 comment:

mick said...

That kicks ass - I've always wanted to meet Waid.