5/29/2007

Pirates and Other Things

Saw At World's End tonight with Josh and Sarah and Josh's brother, Taggart. I'm gonna try to keep this brief, because I should be getting to bed pretty soon.

The movie is too long and too loud. I dislike not being able to hear dialogue because of overly ambitious explosions and music. I have a headache. They could have turned it down just a smidge, is all I'm saying.

I blame Peter Jackson for the three-hour epics we've been getting over the past few years. Ever since Fellowship made huge bank at the box office, every filmmaker and producer thinks they can get away with these enormous films, and they're just so completely unnecessary. Edit your movies, people. They have these people, called editors, whom you can pay to make cuts to your films. I know it hurts, slicing down your babies like that, but get over it.

All that being said, it was still an enjoyable film. Very fun, though quite a bit darker than the previous two, as evidenced by the hanging of a young boy pirate within the first two minutes of the movie. The first film had such a joy to it, like the filmmakers knew they were getting away with something, but with the second and now the third film, I don't know. It's like they feel the need to bog the film down with these weighty themes: fathers and sons, ill-fated romances. I mean, c'mon, this isn't Shakespeare.

The special effects were spectacular and the actors were all superb. It was great to see Geoffrey Rush back for the whole film this time, and the addition of Chow-Yun Fat was inspired, though I wish he had been in it more. Keith Richards' cameo was just that, a short, less-than-five-minute scene, but it was fun nonetheless, and Depp, Knightly, Bloom and the rest of the returning crew were in fine form (especially Knightly, who, I do believe, can never be made to look bad at all. Absolutely gorgeous).

The movie is left wide open for yet another sequel, though whether they'll make another is still up in the air. I certainly wouldn't mind another, though I'd prefer they get me out of the theatre within two hours and 15 minutes. That really should be enough time, should it not?

In other news, my brother and his family were on their way home from Omaha today when I guess they hit a storm just inside the Colorado border. According to my father, they hydroplaned a bit before, I dunno, sliding off the road and flipping over two or three times. Everyone is okay as far as I know. Dad left some further info on a voice mail while I was in the movie. I guess my niece's wrist is hurting and maybe my brother's head, too. My parents are driving out there very early Tuesday morning to lend a hand for the next few days, so I'm sure I'll learn more tomorrow evening after work.

I tried calling both my brother's and my sister-in-law's cell phones, but I guess they got tossed around a bit during the crash, so they're not exactly in working order, so I haven't spoken to either of them yet. The car is trashed, too. Sounds like it was a pretty bad accident, and I can only assume that they were all wearing their seat belts, because, from the way it was described to me by both my father and sister, I think I'd be writing a much different blog post if they weren't.

I'll post more when I know more.

I hope everyone else had a better, more accident-free Memorial Day weekend.

::UPDATE 5/29/07::

Photo of my brother's wrecked car.

2 comments:

raptorpack said...

I love long movies. I won't even go to films unless there more than an hour and 45 mins, and anything more than 2 hours is usually worth the price to see it in the theaters (yes, I know, not films are good enough, there is the factor of judging if it will be a great film of not). Can't stand paying the price for a 90 min showing. As for the darkness, I also loved. I think the reason I like the second and third is because it shows more of the reality of piratedom(?). Although, the straight up evilness of the EIC was a bit of a stretch. True but imbelished.

rainbowponi said...

as always i love reading your movie reviews before i choose to go see something. as a mother in a family of five i make sure the movie is good, i only see maybe 3 per year. and this will be one i wait until it hits video.
so sorry to hear about your brother. that is wonderful that everyone is okay.