5/18/2007

Settling in

I begin my internship Monday morning at 9. I drove past the building today, just to see where it is, see how long it might take me to get there. It's pretty close, less than seven miles, but with traffic it'll still take 20 - 30 minutes. I'll have pictures of the office next week, I'm sure.

I added yesterday's driving pictures to the Flickr set. There's also a few pictures of the room I'm gonna be living in for the summer. I've been working on getting my stuff somewhat organized and arranged. It's kind of cramped in there, but it'll do for the short time that I'm here.

You might be asking yourself, Where are pictures of my hosts? And I'll get on that later tonight. I meant to snap one or two of Sarah last night while she was showing me around the apartment, but I was pretty wiped out from the drive. I gave it little more than a passing thought.

Didn't even get to see Josh last night. He was working late and didn't get home 'til about midnight, and I was fast asleep by then. He'll hopefully be home at a more reasonable time this evening, so I can, you know, say "hi."

They have cats. Three of them. There's hair all over the place. I'm gonna try to keep the door to the room I'm in closed most of the time. I'd very much prefer to keep the cats off my clothes at least until I'm wearing them.

Driving around the city brought back many a memory of my previous time in this part of the country. I recognized a number of streets, found the CBS studio where I would go for the Nebraska Coast Connection meetings. I'm only going to be in town for the June and July meetings, but I'm gonna try to go to both.

Sarah and I drove past the Golden Apple comic book store on Melrose last night. It's only a couple miles from the apartment. There's another store, called Secret Headquarters, on Sunset that I'd like to check out. I've heard good things about them. And, of course, we can't forget the Secret Stash, Kevin Smith's comic book store in Westwood. So many stores, so little money.

In fact, I'm not planning on buying any comics while I'm out here. It's an unpaid internship, which is kinda crappy, but the contacts I'll (hopefully) make should more than make up for it. Point being, I can't afford to be buying comics right now. The store in Omaha is still pulling my books while I'm out here, so I'll have quite a hefty pile waiting for me when I get back. But, when I get back, I'll have my school loan money, and my job on campus, so no worries there.

You might notice, looking at the pictures, that there really aren't any of the City of Angels itself. I would've taken some, but traffic is so crazy around the city, I really didn't want to take my hands off the wheel. Just do a Google Image search for "Los Angeles" if you're curious.

It might take a few days before I get used to the different time zone. I think I'm still on Omaha time. My body feels as if it's two hours later than it actually is. It's only a quarter to 5 here, but I'm already feeling tired. It's almost like jetlag.

Anyway. That's probably enough for now. I'm not sure how much I'll post over the weekend, but I'll definitely be back Monday with my initial thoughts about the internship.

1 comment:

raptorpack said...

Dude, its like 10:30am here. I will have been at work 3 hours already before you even start. Anyway, have fun...with the limited funds. Just kidding, you'll do well. No matter where you go, I'm pretty sure ramen is still cheap.

Nice to see Sarah. Haven't see that jive kat in coon's age. That is if you're picking up what I'm puttin' down, my man.

Sorry, this way to early for me.