6/30/2007

Ante up

If you've never played poker while a large, bald Texan flings bottle caps and vegetables at you, let me tell ya, you're missing out.

The boss invited Cody and I to play cards with him and some of his friends last night, and once he offered to stake us in the game (what with the being poor and all), we were in. I won a few hands, but nothing spectacular. I don't even remember the last time I played poker, but it was fun nonetheless. It's still a bit strange seeing the boss outside the office, which seems so much like a natural habitat.

The intern did show up on Thursday (apparently, on Wednesday, his friend who was coming to pick him up to bring him to the office got into an accident, so he spent the day with him and, for whatever reason, didn't have the office number on his cell phone to call and let us know?), and we got a lot done, but then yesterday, after 4 o'clock, when he still wasn't there, I called him to tell him to just turn around, since we were gonna be leaving the office early anyway. He would've gotten there and maybe worked for about a half hour or so before we were ready to take off. I'm not sure he understands the concept of an internship as a job. Yeah, it doesn't pay, but it's the experience that you're there for. And if you can't get to work when you say you'll be there, you can still be fired, unpaid intern or not.

Cody and I had to drop a batch of comics off yesterday at the company's agency, and some paperwork for the company's lawyer, and then we hit the post office to mail a big batch of Web orders. It's sort of become a regular Friday thing, which is kinda nice, getting out of the office for an hour or so, even if it is to run errands.

In four weeks we'll be in San Diego. From what I can tell, a lot of things still need to get done before we head south. It appears that we'll be sprinting to the finish line for this convention. Still, I'm looking forward to it.

My father was in Pittsburgh this past week, to try to get my grandmother more prepared and organized for her move to Omaha in, oh, about a month and a half. I can only imagine how much of a headache that was. I picture my father, dealing with his mother's very unique brand of crazy, tearing out clumps of his hair. If he had any, that is. I think he's back in Omaha by now.

A friend of mine, Kristie, whom I met at Ryan and Jami's wedding, is around L.A. today, having driven down from the San Jose area with a friend to lend moral support for her friend's audition for some reality show. We might be able to hang out a bit later in the day, if I can figure out where in Studio City they are. If it doesn't work out today, I'll still get to see her, probably, when I head up north after the San Diego convention.

Sarah and Josh's landlord has been wanting to put a new floor in the room I've been sleeping in, and it was decided that today would be the day. It wasn't as inconvenient as I first thought it was going to be. The guys who are putting the floor in helped move the futon out of the room, and the little table I've been using as a nightstand. They just came around 9:30 this morning, so I had to be up and out of the room a little earlier than I wanted to be. I'm still a bit tired from last night. I didn't get home from playing cards until about a quarter after midnight. Didn't get to sleep until an hour or so later.

So until I hear from Kristie later, I dunno what I'm doing today. Sitting around, I suspect, waiting for the guys to finish putting the new floor in. I have a couple TV shows to watch. Monday's Big Love and last night's Painkiller Jane. Getting some food sometime might be nice, too.

Oh, and before I forget, not that he's likely to have read this far down, but I'd like to give a shout out to my buddy Mick, whose birthday is today. Happy birthday, Mick!

And with that, I'm gone.

4 comments:

kristieh said...

a double shout-out, and i didn't get to see ya. we ended up sitting on 5 for about 2 hours trying to get out of LA...shoulda done dinner.

SF in august!!!

mick said...

I did read this far - thanks!

David said...

I love you but puhleeze use better grammar.
You said "The boss is taking Cody and I to see Transformers..."
... taking Cody and me ...
David

1031 said...

I'm gonna take grammatical advice from someone who just wrote, "puhleeze"?

And another thing. It's nice to be loved, but I know a lot of David's, so I've gotta ask, who's sending me the love?