6/23/2007

Idling

I think I spent approximately three and a half hours in the car yesterday, while I was working. Cody and I had to run to UPS and the post office to mail a bunch of comics, and that took about an hour and a half, give or take, and then the boss asked if I'd drop him and his fiance off at LAX, to which I replied, "sure," because, hey, it was going to get me out of the office for a little while longer.

Oy.

After dropping them off at the airport, I believe I sat in traffic on the 405 for at least an hour, if not more, as I headed back toward the office. Maybe it was because it was a Friday, maybe traffic is always that bad on that particular stretch of the 405, I dunno what it was, but that had to have been the worst congestion I've sat in while in L.A., and I've sat through some pretty shitty traffic out here.

I have a bunch of reorders I need to put together to go out Monday. I don't really have any boxes for them to go in, but at least Cody and I, after I finally got back from the airport (and a very late lunch) at 4:45, found most of the comics I'm going to need to fill the orders. We totally forgot to email the new intern yesterday to tell him that he's the new intern. He could probably lend a hand with this reorder on Monday. Maybe I'll drop him a line a bit later today.

As we were driving to the airport, the boss told me he ran into my cousin Terri at one of the film studios this past week, or maybe last week. She asked after me and I apparently received glowing praise from the boss, which is always nice to hear. It's not as though what I've been doing out here is extremely difficult or anything, but still, it's stuff that has to be done, and someone has to do it, and it might as well be done well, right?

That conversation got me thinking that I still hadn't actually spoken with my cousin since I've been out here. We've fired some emails back and forth, but that's about it. I'm unusually reserved about calling her, I think, because I know how busy she can be at work, and she's got a one-year-old at home, and I don't want to be a bother, y'know? But I figured, since I was sitting in traffic and hardly moving, I'd give her a call.

She's always fun to talk to. She's usually in a pretty good mood, and I dunno if I just catch her on good days or she's always like that, but it's nice to hear someone enjoying what they're doing. We talked for about 15 or 20 minutes, I think. Caught up a little, and made plans to have a drink Monday after work. Then we might head over to her place so I can meet the little one, Maya. Terri's husband, Rick, is back in school to get his Masters, and he has class Monday night, so he won't be around, which is a shame, but I still have about five weeks out here, so maybe I'll get to say "hi" to him some other time.

Today is my mother's birthday, so I'll be calling her a bit later. I wonder how she's been handling my absence. Not that she can't get along with me, but rather that, since I'm not there, it's just her and my father in the house, which can become ... interesting, at times.

Dad's heading to Pittsburgh tomorrow to get my grandmother organized for her move to Omaha. The Pirates are out here this weekend, down in Anaheim. I'd like to go to a game, but I'm not sure if I can afford it, and Angels tickets are usually a hotter commodity than Dodger tickets. I probably couldn't get a very good seat. Still, I should look into it. I've never been to the stadium in Anaheim. Used to drive past it a lot when I was working at that crappy video store in Santa Ana, lo those many years ago. That'd probably be a little weird, I think, being that close to where Alissa and I used to live.

And that's about it for now. Should probably hop in the shower. Hope all is well wherever you are.

No comments: