6/03/2007

Nu?

Not much to say here, really. Work has been pretty much the same, sending out Web orders and comp copies to creators, which is fine and has to be done, but it's just boring, y'know? I think I'm gonna email the managing editor, who lives in Michigan, and ask him if he could share some editorial insight with me, like the process he goes through, the scripts, the artwork, things of that nature. So we'll see what happens there.

The boss has been in New York for the Book Expo this weekend. He left Wednesday night, which meant that I had the internet connection in the office all to myself on Thursday and Friday, which was pretty helpful. Next weekend is a convention in Toronto, so it'll be kind of the same deal, with the boss being gone Thursday and Friday again. It's just easier to get work done when you don't have to worry about sharing the internet. We should probably just buy a splitter, but I think we're all hoping we'll have a new office sooner rather than later, so we won't have to work like this much longer.

Sarah and I went to the grocery store this morning, bought some munchies (and some relatively healthy food, too). I forgot to buy breakfast bars and tea, though. But I got bagels, so I'll be all right for a week or so.

I've had a craving for pizza lately. Dunno why. Haven't had any non-frozen pizza since I've been here. Having withdrawal, I guess. I found a Little Caesars a few blocks away. I might have to stop there one day this week after work.

What else is goin' on ... I went down to Huntington Beach yesterday, to visit the comic book store I went to the last time I was living out here. The owner knew the owner of the store I worked at, so we sort of became friends last time. So it was cool to see her and catch up a little bit. I also picked up Alison Bechdel's Fun Home, which finally came out in paperback this week. It's really good so far and I can see why it garnered so much acclaim last year.

I need to put together a resume and a cover letter for this internship. Technically this is a class, right? I'm enrolled at UNO and I have a couple assignments to complete over the summer, some papers, etc. I haven't looked at my resume in years. I haven't had a real job for a while either. I mean, I guess I've been working on campus for the past couple semesters. But when I first came home from CA, there's this big gap in my work history. But, whatever. It is what it is. I'll probably work on that stuff this week at work, where I have a desk. It's just easier to concentrate there, even though there's always a lot going on around me.

I still need to take some pictures of that place for my flickr page. Who knows how long we're gonna be there, and you really need to see the environment I've been in the past couple of weeks, all these boxes piled high all around me, filled with comics.

My grandmother apparently told my father she'd buy a plasma screen TV for our living room. Since she's in such a giving mood, I asked him to ask her to buy me a new car while she's at it. It's not like I want a super-expensive one or anything. Less than $20 grand. Maybe I'll ask her myself when I call her on her birthday in a couple weeks. :)

At the very least, we might need a PS3 to go along with the new TV.

That might be about it for now. Sarah and Josh are going to head out to a farmer's market for some meat and produce. Maybe I'll start on that resume. I need to finish Chabon's new novel, too, though. So much to do, so little time.

Also, a question of the day: if the world were overrun by zombies, who would you want with you in your struggle for survival against the brain-eating hordes? Who would be in your zombie shelter with you?

4 comments:

raptorpack said...

Now, how can you pose such an open-ended question like that? Is it one person or many? One person is easy to look for but many can quite easily fend of a horde if they now what they are doing. And a shelter? Haven't zombie films taught you anything? No shelter is safe so why have one? And you take shifts in sleeping wherever but never in the same place. Now come on. You know better than to ask such a question...especially when you know I'm gonna comment.

P.S. I would suggest Little Caesar's on Tuesday...that is if they still have the Tuesday deal.

1031 said...

The shelter, obviously, is only used to save you from the initial zombie infection. One has to survive long enough to put together a group, of course. After that, you'd be out and about, dodging and weaving your way past lumbering, brain-eating zombies ... or lightning-quick, flesh-eating zombies. There are many varieties of zombie, as we all know.

And the number of people is up to you. Keep in mind, however, that you'll probably lose a few people over time. Not everyone can survive in a post-zombie world.

And Little Caesars has that $5/pizza thing every day of the week now, not just on Tuesdays.

mick said...

This is my favorite topic. I make my employees have zombie debates with me when I get bored.

After reading the book World War Z, I'm now convinced that you need a few strong, quick, good with clubs and guns people, but you also need some weak, lame, sick and crippled people.

As you move you always leave some of the weak and people behind to buy some Zombie free time.

I know thats harsh, but they are going to die soon anyway and as the saying goes "better you than me".

rose said...

So I definitely would not have Mick in my group...but I would probably pick you two since you seem to have put a lot of thought into the subject. Plus Johnny, of course. As the only surviving female I have to have someone to have hot, desperate sex with. Sorry, guys.