6/14/2007

That time of year

I drive past Beverly Hills High on my way home from work every day. Looked like they were getting all set up for graduation this evening. A bunch of folding chairs were set up on the lawn behind the school. And the few kids I saw running around wearing caps 'n gowns were a good tip off, too.

I gotta tell ya, Beverly Hills High was a bit of a disappointment the first time I saw it. I mean, c'mon, it's Beverly Hills, for cryin' out loud. Millard North is nicer-looking than this school, though not as big. I guess a public school is a public school anywhere you go.

The guy I work with won tickets to see Sage Francis at the Henry Fonda theatre tomorrow night, so we're gonna hit that after work. It'll be good to unwind and relax after a week of staring at a computer screen for eight hours every day.

I spent about half the day today putting together image files for a trade paperback catalog for Boom!'s Fall releases. I went through about 12 comics' digital files and pulled out two to three pages of each comic that, hopefully, illustrate (no pun intended) what each book is about. Then I had to combine them into a big .pdf file.

That's about all I know for now. I think I'll get a bit more of Chabon's new book read. And maybe make some dinner. Dinner would probably be good. I was so wrapped up in getting that TPB catalog put together that I sort of neglected lunch. Luckily, last night, Sarah and I went to the grocery store and I picked up a couple bags of dried cherries and Red Vines. Now that's good eatin'.

Later ...

3 comments:

mick said...

So I read one of Chabon's books not to long ago. I was surpised when halfway through "The Amazing Adventures of Cavalier and Clay" one of the main characters just ended up being gay. There was a large lack of foreshadowing of this twist, if twist is the right word?

I later spoke to one of my evil cronys who was more familure with Chabon's work he mentioned that this is something that happens in alot of his books.

Let me know if something similar happens in this one.

That being said I think it might be one of my favorite books.

1031 said...

Yeah, Chabon has gay characters in nearly all his books, I think: Grady's editor, Crabtree, and his student, James Leer, in Wonder Boys, Sammy in Kavalier & Clay, and there were gay characters/themes in his first novel, The Mysteries of Pittsburgh, which I haven't read for a while, so I don't remember much about it.

And yes, there is a gay character (or two) in the new book, but I won't say who, because that might give something away.

All that aside, I don't think Sammy's being gay in Kavalier & Clay was out of no where. I mean, he never showed much interest in girls throughout the early parts of the story, and Chabon continuously alludes to his attraction toward Superman-type figures, epitomized by the actor who portrayed The Escapist, whose name I forget.

mick said...

Well yeah - the give away would be when they did the deed in the giant globe during the world fair.

Maybe you read into Sammy's character a little more than I did. I was a Joseh fan from the begining. I was still surprised when it was became apparent.

Was the actors name Lance? Larry? Something with an "L" maybe.

Troy?


This is really going to bother me now.