7/07/2007

Lucky 7s

Went into work an hour later yesterday, as we were having a post-regular-office-hours meeting to attempt to figure out where we currently stand in regards to preparation for San Diego, and what we need/want to get done in the next ... less than three weeks.

The "planning committee" consists of Mike Nelson, who, in addition to writing a few different titles for BOOM!, also appears to be in indentured servitude to the boss. He is truly a jack-of-all-trades. I finally met Chip Mosher (hi Chip!), who writes an espionage thriller called Left on Mission (the first issue of which is really good; I haven't had a chance to read the second or third yet). He's coming on board the company in a marketing capacity, leaving behind a job at an Apple store, which would have brought him untold riches and a free iPhone. And, of course, Cody and Ross were at the meeting, as well.

I was kind of a fifth wheel. I mean, I'd like to help in any capacity I can. That's what I'm here for. I'm just not entirely sure what I can be doing, regarding San Diego. Whatever is asked of me, I guess. The convention begins on Thursday, July 26th, with preview night the night before. We're going to be driving out there that Wednesday morning, I believe. We need to figure out what we're going to be bringing, in terms of comics, which I suspect will be sort of my area, along with Intern #2, getting all the comics organized. The way my back is feeling, though, other people are gonna be carrying them.

My back is still all fucked up from helping move furniture last weekend. I would have kicked myself many times over for helping with that, only I can't, because it hurts too much to try. I was popping hydro- and oxycodones yesterday, but to no avail. They would help for a little while, but then I'd, well, move, and the pain would return. Even just laying here in bed, breathing makes my back hurt. I need to just, like, not do anything, not even move, for a couple days, but I don't see how I can manage that. I'm hopeful that I'll be feeling better by the time San Diego rolls around.

The boss gave me a couple scripts to read, film scripts. I got through one last night. He'd only given me the first 30 pages to read. It was all right. The writing was kind of choppy, and, after 30 pages, I really didn't care all that much about either of the main characters, though their situations were certainly interesting, and I'd certainly like to read the rest of the script, if only to figure out what's going on. I haven't started reading the other script yet. Maybe tomorrow as I do laundry.

A friend from UNO is out here interning, too. Well, she's up in Santa Monica, at an ad agency. She emailed me a couple weeks ago, but the message got stuck in my UNO account spam filter for some reason, so I didn't get it until, like, Monday. She and her sister are going to a Dodger game tonight, and the stadium is, like, 15 minutes from where I'm staying, so we might hang out for a bit afterwards. It'd be cool to see a familiar face out here.

Josh and I were thinking of trying to find this barcade tonight. A barcade is a bar with old school video games. At least, as far as I know, that's what it is. There's one a couple streets over, apparently, though I've never seen it as I've driven to work. It must be hidden, and have a secret password to gain entrance. Anyway, we might try to find that tonight. Cody was going to come, but he keeps winning free concert tickets, so he's going to see the Decemberists tonight.

In front of Transformers was one of the best trailers I've ever seen. It's for this J.J. Abrams movie that doesn't have an "official" title yet. It's being called "Cloverfield" on the IMDb and all over the internets. It's that trailer that's all shot using a digital video camera. It starts out at someone's going-away party before everyone heads to the roof and sees a giant explosion off in the distance. The end of the trailer is on street level, with flying debris heading toward the camera, and one huge chunk appears to be the head from the Statue of Liberty. It's a very cool trailer. I'd link to it on youtube, but whatever I link to would probably be taken down in a matter of minutes. Try to find it, though, if you haven't seen it. Speculation is running wild all over the place, regarding what the movie's about. Some people have said it's a giant monster movie, a new Godzilla movie, a Cthulhu movie (which would be very cool for BOOM!, because BOOM! publishes Cthulhu comics). But no one knows what it's about. It's extremely good viral marketing. Obviously, because I'm talking about it here. The next bit of info about the project is apparently going to be released on August 1st, so keep an eye out.

That's about all I know, I think. Gonna try to get a haircut today. But other than that, I just want to sit around and chill, rest my back. I hate when it feels this way. I feel so useless, because I can barely lift anything. It fuckin' hurts to roll over, for cryin' out loud.

Anyway. Have a happy (and lucky?) 7/7/07.

2 comments:

Jennie said...

Although this may be fairly obvious, I don't want to make any assumptions - have you tried icing your back? the flat ice packs at walgreens are really expensive, but I've found that if you're careful not to break them open, Fla-vor-ice does the trick. 10 minutes on, 10 minutes off, whenever you're just lying around watching tv or something.

Anonymous said...

Worst-case scenario, if it doesn't work, you got somethin' to eat, lol.

-Ben