7/03/2007

More than meets the ... ow

So, big idiot that I am, I helped Josh and Sarah move some furniture around on Sunday. For those who are not in the know, let me enlighten you for a moment. I have a bad back. It's my own fault, I'm quite certain, but that doesn't make the pain any less valid, only more, what, justified?

Suffice it to say, I should have known better, and in fact, did know better, than to help move sofas from room to room and door-to-door, but I did it anyone. One couch went into the room I've been crashing in. Another went to the neighbor gals. And the third, the one Josh and Sarah got from some friends, that one, a sleeper sofa, no less, along with a chair and ottoman, went from the moving van to the living room.

The first two were relatively easy to move. Not too heavy. The new chair wasn't too bad, either, nor was the ottoman. That sleeper sofa, however ... oh my FSM, was that thing fuckin' heavy. So here I am, back in knots, pain shooting up and down my spine even when I do nothing other than sit here and type. It actually kind of sucks.

And why, pray tell, did I help move all this furniture? Because Josh and Sarah have been so great to me since I've been out here. Letting me crash at their place, eat their food, annoy their cats. I couldn't not help, y'know? After all they've done for me, and with a little less than a month to go, I felt an obligation to lend a hand.

That'll teach me. I need more pain meds.

The boss is taking Cody and I to see Transformers this afternoon. I can't for the life of me imagine that it'll be good. Fun, sure, but actually good? No way. The very concept is so absurd, isn't? Giant sentient alien robots who turn into GM cars and trucks? WTF? Sure, it was awesome when I was eight and had all the toys, but does everything from 20 years ago really need to make a comeback? Can't we let the past stay buried? They're making a G.I. Joe movie and an animated Thundercats movie. Do we really need these things? Are there truly no original ideas left in the world that we need a Thundercats film?

Two years ago today my friends Ryan and Jami tied the knot, and I was honored to stand by Ryan's side as his best man. I'd like to wish the both of them a happy anniversary, and I hope they have a great day and enjoy their much-needed day off tomorrow.

10 comments:

raptorpack said...

"...but does everything from 20 years ago really need to make a comeback?"

Yes, yes it does. The 80's rocked the kazba.

Original ideas? As a greek philospher said (or rather I paraphrase what he said...come to think of it I don't even know if he is greek...heh) "Their are no new ideas. Everything has been done and/or thought of." And that was back in his day. ...whenever that may have been...it was definatly...back...there...though...not like...here...yyeeaahh...:)

1031 said...

Sure, there are no new ideas, but there must be new IPs out there somewhere. (IP stands for Intellectual Property.)

I'm just saying, we don't need a Transformers movie. Give us something new. New characters, new concepts. The ideas might be the same, but at least give them to us wrapped in shiny new packaging, not the same old stuff.

raptorpack said...

This from the man who thinks Sin City (which a story that was made 15 YEARS AGO, and didn't deter one frame from the graphic novel) is the probably the greatest think he will ever experience in his life...Oh, Oh,...but 20 years. That's way to far back. Hahahaha :)

raptorpack said...

Oh yeah, and who is always on my ass about "did you get the extended, director's cut, limited edition, unrated, uncut, special DVD box set from hell edition of Sin City yet?"

I say good day, sir. And I will proptly await your review of Transformers and tell you how much of a hack Frank Miller is, thank you very much!

raptorpack said...

Actually, I don't think Frank Miller is a hack. I think he is off is rocker and his not one single sociable bone is frail whisp of sack of skin he calls a body...but never a hack ;P

and...
and...
screw you I had a fun time at Transformers and I'm taking my mom tonight so she can enjoy just as much as I did. So there. Yeah, so him didn't I. Wait...

1031 said...

Now you're just puttin' words in my mouth. I never said Sin City was the greatest thing ever. The thing that I geeked out over with that movie is the way it was filmed, yes. The fact that they set out to essentially reproduce the comic as a movie, shot-for-shot, the green screen work, that stuff was new and unique in film making. But I never said that about the story.

The Sin City stories are, like you pointed out above, the same kind of stories that have been told for centuries, but it was the way in which Miller told them, his artistic style and his blunt way with words, that made his tellings new and unique and different, especially in the world of comics.

Michael Bay doesn't make things unique or different. He makes them loud and explodey, which, I readily admit, can be a lot of fun. I'm just saying, why can't he do it with something new?

Incidentally, there's no way this new Transformers can match the animated movie from the mid-'80s. All that carnage and loss of robo-life. The very fact that Optimus Prime died 20 minutes in makes it a better film. That's a lot of pathos for a kid to take in while watching that movie.

Plus, that movie was the first time I ever heard a cartoon swear, and you never forget your first time.

kristieh said...

i loved it. again, we're gonna have to agree to disagree.

1031 said...

We don't have to disagree just yet. I haven't seen the movie yet. I never said it was bad, only that I can't imagine it being good, but I'm suspending my final judgment until after I see it.

rose said...

You just leave those Thundercats alone, mister. The 80's did rock and I enjoy the comeback. You just wait, there's a Jem and Heman movies waiting in the rafters...

1031 said...

Actually, there is a new live-action He-Man movie in the works.