8/15/2007

A miscellany (8/14/07)

Greetings, all. I haven't posted for a little while, so I was beginning to feel like I should, though not much has been happening lately.

My parents got home from a two-week "vacation" to Pittsburgh and Maryland/D.C. last Thursday. They were in Pittsburgh to help my grandmother (father's mother) get everything more-or-less ready for her move to Omaha, which is why I put "vacation" in quotation marks. Believe me, that wasn't fun for anyone.

After a few days in Pittsburgh, they drove on to Maryland for an old friend of my mother's wedding, after which they turned right around, got my grandmother's belongings packed up and loaded onto a moving truck, and made their way back home. My grandmother arrived home by plane a few hours before my parents.

The moving truck arrived Monday and everyone is involved in the ongoing process of getting my grandmother moved in to her new apartment near One Pacific Place. I have yet to see the inside of the building, but it sounds like it'll be a nice place for her, if she can ever stop fidgeting and relax, which I honestly don't see happening anytime soon.

My grandmother is 89 years old. Her mind, let alone her body, isn't what it used to be. She's forgetful. And unstable on her feet. Thank god she's not going to be driving around the city. I can't help but wonder how long she can continue to live by herself.

At least she won't be waking up in the middle of the night and getting ready for work anymore.

I hope.

I haven't been doing a whole lot since I've been back in Omaha. I stopped by Krypton Comics' new location, in Westwood Plaza, near the ol' cheap movie theatre. It's pretty nice. Spacious. Feels kind of weird being in that area, buying comics again, after having worked at Cosmic Comics, which was up on the other side of the plaza.

Took my car into the shop yesterday morning. Everything was great all throughout the summer in L.A., but on my way home, the brakes started acting a little squirrelly. I apparently needed a part called a "master cylinder," whatever that is (I'm not much of a car person). Long story short, a day and nearly $500 later, I have my wheels back. I hate not having my car. Not that I even have anywhere to go, but just the idea that I can't go somewhere bothers me. I feel trapped, disconnected, like I'm missing a part of me.

Sadly, I feel the same way when I can't get online at least once a day, that disconnected feeling. Although, I seemed to handle it pretty well in San Diego, when I couldn't check my email or the news for five days in a row. But I honestly didn't know about anything that was going on in the world during those five days. I barely saw sunlight, let alone a newscast. WWIII could have erupted and none of us would have known, which is a bit of an eerie feeling. Someone should write a movie about the world ending, like a zombie apocalypse or something, but all the geeks at a comic convention survive because we hardly ever left the convention hall.

So the first of my final two semesters begins in less than two weeks. I'm going to start working, I think, in the chem office again soon, to help get things organized for the beginning of the semester. I only have classes three days a week, off Mondays and Fridays, so that'll be nice. Four-day weekend every week. I don't think my classes will be too terribly taxing. News editing, the history of mass communication, a fiction studio and critical writing for magazines, like editorials and opinion pieces. Good thing I have an opinion about just about everything, isn't it?

With the finish line in sight, I'm starting to wonder what I'm going to do once I finally graduate. Will there be a job for me at BOOM!? Or at some other comic book company? Would my cousin be able to help me get a job in a production office like hers? Do I want to write for a newspaper? I've always been fascinated with the crime beat. Crime in general, really. Both real and fiction. When I was a kid, I wanted to be a cop when I grew up, but not a uniform, not a beat cop. For as long as I can remember, I wanted to work homicide, which, I think, is kinda weird for a kid in elementary school. I loved the mysteries, putting the clues together, putting the pieces of some poor, dead schmuck's life back together and figuring out who did it to him, and why.

I dunno. Whatever's gonna happen will happen. Can't really think about it too much right now. No point. Gotta get through these two semesters first.

I'm gonna be heading up to Minneapolis this weekend, to visit Ryan and Jami and finally see their new year-and-a-half-old house. Should be fun. I haven't been up north for a couple years, so I'm looking forward to it. Plus, they have this really big HDTV in their basement.

My nephew, my sister's son, he started the first grade yesterday. Damn if that didn't make me feel old. My 10 year high school reunion was in July, while I was out in L.A. I can't imagine I would've gone, had I been in town, but I think I would've been tempted to see what everyone had made of themselves. 10 years. Man. Sometimes high school seems like yesterday. Then I get a glance at my hairline in the mirror and it feels like it was ages ago.

Speaking of which, I've got a dentist appointment in the morning, followed by a haircut. I think I'm gonna get my hair shaved down pretty close. Not totally gone, but nearly.

That might be just about all she wrote for tonight. Odd how, even when I don't have anything to say, I can just go on and on and on. I have perfected the art of saying a lot without really having to say anything at all.

3 comments:

raptorpack said...

Dude, I totally get the no car thing. When I was in korea, sure, but when I got back, i didn't have a car of my own. I only had one for work related issues and then I had to return it and had to wait around on their time schedule for them to drop me off at home, only to do it all over again the next day. Frustrating doesn't even describe it.

mick said...

I thought you bought that little white car from the H's?

S. said...

Someone should write a movie about the world ending, like a zombie apocalypse or something, but all the geeks at a comic convention survive because we hardly ever left the convention hall.

yes. and it should be a mere one-shot convention exclusive.

you know it'd be optioned, lickety-split.