9/03/2007

Happy Happys

Not only is today Labor Day, it's also the fourth birthday of one of my nieces, Emma, my sister's daughter, as well as the 40th wedding anniversary of my parents, who are hosting a mishpocha BBQ tonight at the house, because, as my father explains it, "We always go to other people's homes for dinners and parties; we should have them over here." So today, Labor Day, my mother will be running around like a chicken with its head cut off, in a vain attempt to make the house presentable for guests, namely my brother-in-law's family.

Happy Anniversary, Mom & Dad. As my father likes to put it, they've been happily married for 32 years, which, out of 40, isn't too bad.

And Happy Birthday, Emma, though I'm fairly certain you won't be reading this anytime soon.

Quick update regarding my car: the guy from Triple A who looked at it and decided the problem was the alternator was kind of a schmuck. After two days of putzing around with the damn car, taking it to the service shop, wasting their time, it turns out that the only problem was the dead battery. Fortunately, my battery was still under warranty from when I had it replaced two years ago, so it was free. And the service shop only charged me about $27 for labor. I would like to send that ultimately unnecessary bill to Triple A and let them reimburse me for it since, without their "expertise," I never would have had to pay it in the first place.

I have a few chapters to read for my various classes today. I'm assuming I won't have the time nor the inclination to do so tonight, with all the people here. And I need to start writing the editorial that's due for my Thursday night critical writing class. I think I'm going to write about disgraced, soon-to-be-former Senator Larry Craig (R-ID) and the hypocrisy of the GOP for throwing him under the bus because of his gay sex scandal, while another Republican congressman, David Vitter, admitted to much the same thing, a sex scandal involving prostitutes and the "DC Madam," only he was allowed to keep his job for no reason other than his scandal was hetero in nature.

This is a major problem in our country that doesn't need to be a problem, that shouldn't be a problem, not anymore. We're in the 21st century, for cryin' out loud, and there's still all this bigotry and prejudice (disguised as "morals" and "values") simply because people are, GASP, different from one another. This country was founded upon the ideal that all men (and eventually women, and, you know, some minorities) are created equal, but we all know that's not the case, at least not in the eyes of the conservative rightwing whackjobs who want to control our lives.

If they would stop demonizing homosexuality, then perhaps men like Senator Craig wouldn't have to solicit sex in airport bathrooms (which, despite his denials that he's not gay, is what he essentially pled guilty to). If conservatives and so-called Christians would only stop trying to force shame and scorn upon people who don't deserve it, people whose only crime (or sin, if you're into that kinda talk) was to be born a little different from the right's misguided and puritanical ideal of "normal," then people wouldn't feel the need to hide who they really are out of fear of retribution from holier-than-thou bigots.

So...think I can get a decent editorial out of all that?

1 comment:

raptorpack said...

Okay, I have one problem with this post. "We're in the 21st century, for cryin' out loud, and there's still all this bigotry and prejudice..."

Being in the 21st century has nothing to do with it. It seems like you have ideals as what should've occurred by now, just because it is the 21st century. No offense, but 50-ish years of our full acknowledgement of bigotry and prejudice is nowhere near enough time to have grown past it. We are going to have to wait for the bigots and prejudice people to be weeded out by a few generations, and when I say a few I mean 5 or 6. Basically, not in our lifetime.

Back to my original point. There is one and only one "suppose to/should" in life and that is to live it by any means necessary. Everything else that people think are "suppose to/should"’s are societies influence on how life "should" be lived.