10/17/2007

Et cetera

There was an awesome Frontline on PBS tonight, detailing Dick Cheney's surreptitious (and mostly successful) attempts to hijack the American government, neuter Congress and give the president previously unheard of power to rule without answering to anyone. You can now watch Cheney's Law online.

The Colorado Rockies have won 21 of their last 22 games, sweeping both the Philadelphia Phillies and the Arizona Diamondbacks in the playoffs, to reach the World Series for the first time in the club's 15 year existence. Good for them. They play hard every night, refuse to make errors and, as they say, hit the ball where they ain't. The Cleveland Indians have gone up 3-1 on the Boston Red Sox in the ALCS, and I'm pulling for Cleveland to close the Sox out in Game 5, but that'll be tough, going against 20-game-winner Josh Beckett again. So maybe in Game 6. But then I'm pulling for Colorado in the Series. Best story in baseball since Cal Ripken broke Lou Gehrig's streak.

I woke up early Sunday morning, like 4 a.m. early, with awful pain in both my back and my stomach. I didn't think it was another kidney stone, though the thought crossed my mind. The pain felt higher up in my back than the kidney stone was, and I couldn't figure out why my stomach was hurting. After 20 minutes or so of writhing around in bed, I got up and popped one of the Vicodin I have left over from the wisdom teeth extractions. The pain gradually subsided and hasn't returned since. Not the back pain anyway. Still had some stomach aches yesterday, so I went to the doctor. He couldn't find anything definitively wrong with me, and believe me, he was quite thorough. (Note to everyone: rectal exams are fun for neither you nor your doctor - and if your doctor does enjoy it, you might need to look into getting a new doctor.)

I guess I'm feeling better today. Still trying to figure out what's wrong with me, regarding my general apathy towards, well, everything, seeing as how it's a "general" apathy. Being in this house doesn't help matters. Every day it's the same arguing and yelling about nothing in particular. My grandmother moving to town hasn't helped much either. She's just added a whole new level of stress to the situation, which makes it even more difficult to concentrate on, well, anything. The only peace and quiet around here is at night, when I'm too tired to even think about school. Like now. I can bang out this blog post in 30 minutes, no problem. But something that actually requires real thought and effort, it's too late for that.

I need to get to bed anyway. Going to work in the morning, then class in the afternoon. I'll probably be able to get some work done on campus. If only I could live in the library...

2 comments:

raptorpack said...

I woke up terrible on Sunday as well. Everything torso region and up hurt like I had been under the twin towers when they fell...to soon? Anyway, I swallowed like 8 advil in the span of 2 hours. It finally went away but man did it suck. I didn't get myself to a doctor, though. I rarely do that. Only if it lasts more than 2 days will I even consider it. I think it was the Camo Chuckles made us drink. I figured it was funky.

1031 said...

Yeah, that thought occurred to me, too. Remind me never to accept questionable-sounding beer from Chuck again.