11/14/2007

So that's why ...

So I think I figured out part of the problem I've been having this semester, this slump that I'm in, for lack of a better term.

A week and a half ago the first draft of a 10-page research paper worth 50 points was due in one of my classes. I like this class. I like the material. I like the instructor. I even like the subject I chose to write about. The actual writing, however, well, I just wasn't feelin' it. So the due date came and I had nothing to turn in. And when I say nothing, I mean nothing. To that point I had done an infinitesimally small amount of research and had a vague notion of what I was going to write about. That's it. So, naturally, I told the instructor that I had spaced off about printing it out that morning and asked if I could email it to him when I got home that day.

Cut to the following day. I wake up around 9 a.m., putz around reading my email and blogs and whatnot for about an hour and a half, then proceed to write, pretty much uninterrupted, for the next four or five hours. With all the research I did, I ended up with about six pages of a first draft, which I fired off to my instructor at around 4:00 or 5:00 that evening.

One would think, with all the *ahem* preparation I had done, that this would be sort of a half-assed paper, a poor attempt at earning at least a few points for the assignment.

Today the instructor handed back our first drafts. He said he was pretty impressed with a lot of them, the amount of effort that appeared to go into them, so he decided to bump the value of the assignment from 50 points to 100. Needless to say, I was rather dreading getting my paper back. First draft or no, I had written the thing in an afternoon, and while I didn't exactly slap it together, I wouldn't have imagined it being worth even half of the original 50 points it was worth.

So how many points did I receive on this assignment, now valued at a whopping 100 points?

97.

Out of 100.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is what procrastination has gotten me this semester. An apathetic attitude equals 97% for a few hours of work.

Just imagine if I actually applied myself.

No comments: