3/17/2008

Luck o' the Irish

Hope everyone has a fun (and safe) day while pretending to be Irish. I tell ya, we don't have enough holidays for which the main purpose is to get plastered. As my literary journalism instructor (name o' "Reilly," so he knows what he's talkin' about) said last week, "Real Irish take St. Patrick's Day off. This day is for amateurs."

Last night was the fantasy baseball draft for the league I'm helping my brother-in-law with. It was a decent draft, I think. We did well with what was available on the board. The major enjoyment that came from the draft, however, was the knowledge that the baseball season is a mere two weeks ago. Less than two weeks, if you could the series between the Red Sox and A's in Japan starting on the 25th.

March Madness is beginning, too. Every year for the past however many years (at least 10), I've put together a bracket and guessed my way through the rounds. Some years I did all right, like the year I had more than half the teams in the quarterfinals before ending up with three of the four Final Four teams. Other years have been not quite as kind. Regardless, I don't think I'll be putting together a bracket this year. I don't think I care enough. It's college basketball, something I pay very little attention to until this time of year, the conference championships and Selection Sunday. So, yeah, meh.

HBO aired the first two episodes of its John Adams mini-series, but I was at the draft. I'm sure they'll be reaired throughout the week. I hope it was good, given the talent involved and the amount of money surely spent. I've already read one blog post from a guy who said he's not going to watch the rest of the episodes because he just couldn't buy Paul Giamatti as Adams, that Giamatti didn't bring the right persona to the character, the right amount of gravitas. I hope he's wrong, but we shall see.

Nothing else going on here. I finished watching Babylon 5, finished reading The Long Goodbye and started The Golden Compass. (I still want to know why the American publisher insisted on changing the title of the book, given that the object in questions isn't even a compass. Same reason they changed the title of the first Harry Potter book from Philosopher's Stone to Sorcerer's Stone, I imagine: because they think Americans aren't all that bright ... Sadly, they're probably right.)

1 comment:

Kit10 said...

If you have Cox check In Demand they are running all the episodes and a behind the scenes thingy. I am going to watch with the kids, so I hope it's worth it.
~k