1/13/2009

You still here?

Hiya. Long time, no see. Where you been? I've been right here. Quiet, sure, but I never went anywhere. And if I did go somewhere, odds are I would've returned, because that seems to be my current lot in life, to never get out of here.

When I last posted, hell, I don't even know what I wrote about. Finally graduating from college, most likely. I think I'll blame the lack of posts between then and now on having nothing worth writing about, because I haven't actually done anything since graduating in August. I mean, sure I've looked for a job, but having not actually landed one, what's the point in writing about that? "Post-graduation Day 41: Still no job." That'd get old after a while, no?

Okay, sure, there was that movie I worked on as a production assistant from October to early November, which was lots of fun and educational and tiring and I met this really great girl from Minneapolis on set, which I suppose I could've/should've written about, but, man, working 12+ hour days really take a lot out of you, and the only thing I wanted to do after getting home each day was get something to eat and go to bed. The last thing I was interested in was writing about what happened on set that day. A lot of days were pretty similar, really, aside from the different scenes being shot: Get to the set (or house or wherever we were filming that day), set up the crafty table (food, drinks, etc.), help lug equipment where it needed to go, help grip and electric set up the lighting, yell "Rolling!" or "Cut!" depending on the situation, etc.

Maybe there was a little more variety than that, but the days have sort of blended together since we wrapped. One of these days I'll probably write more about the experience. And the girl from Minneapolis. And my IMDb page. And how my shoulders are going to be in the movie. But that's fodder for another post or two.

Toward the end of production on the film I started to realize I was about to go back to being unemployed again, which didn't sit well with me. I mean, it's a pretty depressing thought, when you think about it, which is why I didn't particularly want to be thinking about it. But with the economy the way it is, and newspapers and magazines laying people off left and right, by the hundreds if not thousands, I saw my prospects as rather bleak. That's when it occurred to me, possibly when I was drinking at the wrap party, or the following week in Minneapolis: Grad school!

It took me a long time to get back to school, but once I made that commitment I finally began to enjoy the classes that had once bored the shit out of me. I've always loved learning new things and discussing new (or old) ideas, I just didn't always love being tested on them. But I apparently got over that. And so I figured, since I'm having such a hard time finding a job, and since I finally enjoyed the process of getting that Bachelor's degree, why the hell not try to get into a good journalism grad program? The experience could only help me in my job search, and by the time I finish maybe the economy will be more stable and media organizations, whether print or online, will be expanding again instead of contracting. Hey, a guy's gotta dream, right?

So in addition to the job search, I spent the better part of November and December figuring out which grad schools had the best journalism programs and writing the requisite essays and filling out the applications. There's actually one more school I want to apply to, but I'm hesitant because I don't think my reasons are, well, I've been down that road before (see aforementioned "Girl from Minnesota" and previous posts regarding my first foray into the world of higher education). So I'm undecided about applying, but we'll see. The more I apply to, the better chance of getting into one of them, right? And if I don't apply, well, then there's no chance. So, yeah.

I've also been watching lots of TV shows and movies over the past few months. And playing video games. I beat Grand Theft Auto IV, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed and Bioshock, and I've still got Metal Gear Solid 4 and Fallout 3 to get through. I've been working my way through Arrested Development, which I had forgotten how funny it was, and Mad Men, which is simply brilliant and I hope Matthew Weiner comes back to work on its upcoming third season.

And reading. Been doing lots of reading. I caught up on all the magazines that had piled up while I was working on the movie and didn't have the time to read. And I've knocked off a number of books, some good (Thirteen, The Graveyard Book) and some not so good (Twilight - don't ask, my sister lent it to me).

And now I think you're all caught up, for the most part. My apologies for the wealth of topics and the lack of specifics, but I haven't done this for a while and I'm a little rusty. I'm trying to refocus myself and to get back in the saddle, so to speak, of writing on a daily (or at least semi-daily) basis. It feels good to be back, even though I never really went anywhere. I'm sure I'll be seeing you again fairly soon.

So what've you been up to?

3 comments:

Scott said...

Welcome back!

-S

Kit10 said...

Ta Da! heeeeeee's back!

Angelkris said...

I knew you couldn't stay away forever.